Monday, July 15, 2013

Arnie

Seen on the Purple Line to Linden at about 8:30 a.m.

When he found out the government was listening, Arnie decided to listen back.

Only he wasn’t very good at computers. Although Arnie was solidly a member of the famously tech-savvy Millennials, he’d never caught on to keystrokes and operating systems. His friends constantly mocked his slow typing, and he was probably the last person on earth with an AOL email address. Much to his disappointment, Arnie knew he would never be an effective hacker.

Despite this setback, Arnie was undeterred. He decided to check in on the middlemen in this situation: the police. The way he imagined it, the government spied on all of us from ugly, inconspicuous office buildings, and once they picked a target they sent the police to do their dirty work. Arnie knew there was a way to listen to the police—a police scanner? Something? He wasn’t quite sure how, but he figured radio waves must be involved.

He started carrying around a small radio that his father had used in the early nineties. At first he tried to shove it in his pocket, but it wouldn’t fit. Arnie was forced to cradle it in the crook of his elbow. He plugged his headphones in and listened for some damning evidence, the existence of which he did not doubt for a second.

I had a lovely weekend. Not one, but TWO going-away bashes. If I wasn't already convinced, I am now wholly certain that I have the best friends on the entire planet. Nobody else's friends can compare to mine.

In other news, I was talking about meeting Neil Gaiman to one of my gogo gals, and I told her what he said to me about writing, and she said that one of her friends was there that night coordinating the event, and she blogged about me! It's a small world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.