Monday, May 6, 2013

Desi

Seen on the Purple Line to Linden at about 8:45 a.m.

Desi sits sideways in his seat, preventing other passengers from sitting down. Today the train is empty enough that it doesn’t matter. But he always does this, even when the train is full—even when there are pregnant women, or elderly people, or people with broken limbs. Many people glare at him; sometimes they confront him directly. Desi knows, however, that this is better than the alternative.

If they sit down next to him, they might feel how very cold he is. They might feel how his clothes are not clothes, how his skin is not skin. They might discover his lie, and nothing his not-lips could say would stop them from telling. From screaming.

A creepy one today. Lately I have become obsessed with the Planet Money podcast. That is all.

2 comments:

  1. This one didn't creep me out so much as confuse me. Is he a ghost? A hologram? A robot? What does his skin feel like if it doesn't feel like skin? Why is he cold? It just raises questions for me, instead of fears.

    I like the rhythm of the words, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I left it open-ended on purpose, so that you could imagine whatever you wanted. I didn't know if that would work or not in this case. Guess not. :) Thanks for feedback.

      Delete

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.