Monday, April 15, 2013

Sammy

Seen waiting for the Purple Line to Linden at about 8:15 a.m.

I’m afraid of what will happen to my body. Not just my face; that’s another problem, but there are creams for that. No, I’m worried about my whole body. It’s so unfair that one day, no matter how hard you work, your metabolism slows down and everything falls apart. You end up like my Aunt with her fad diets and her rolls of fat that are still supposedly left over from the birth of her third child—ten years ago. Or you end up like my grandma: hunched over, shaky, muscles so deteriorated that she can barely stand without help. Women like me, women with my blood and my genes, ruined.

That’s why I’m at the gym every single morning as soon as they open. I’m usually there after work, too. Sometimes Horatio, the owner, teases me. He tells me I’m beautiful, he tells me I’m strong, he tells me I could be in there half as often and still be the most dedicated gym rat he knows. I reply that beauty and strength are never guaranteed. I don’t smile.

Went to the Pop Up Book Fair at Empty Bottle yesterday. Lots of fun. Bought some books. Talked to some nice people. I <3 literary events.

2 comments:

  1. I love this. Last sentence: killer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it! It's not one of my favorites, honestly, but I agree that the last bit's the best part. (Thank you for commenting, by the way. I love it when people comment.) <3

      Delete

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.