Friday, April 12, 2013

Riley

Seen on the Brown Line to Kimball at about 8 p.m., April 11th, 2013

Whenever I see you something pulses and rings in the space between my ribs—that feeling you get when you recognize yourself in another being. I am alarmed until I grab you, hold you, slide my fingers along your body. I am more alarmed when you’re not there. It’s an uglier kind of alarm, grating, for without you there is only cacophonous silence and the notion that I’m disconnected from the rest of the world.

You are my constant companion. You know everything about me—my friends, my interests, even my schedule. My pictures are saved in your memory, even the bad ones. I love to scroll through your collection and relive our fondest memories. You manage to answer all my questions before I’ve even finished typing them. You sleep near me at night and wake me up every morning. You shine as my cheeks shine, and when I press you to my cheek you shine all the more.

I’d write you a love letter, but that’s too old fashioned for someone like you. Our love is better expressed in numbers, in acronyms, in less than 140 characters.

Defamiliarization, bitches. I really wanted to call this piece "Ode on a Mobile Phone," but it didn't really fit in with the format of the blog. Silly formats. So constricting. Tonight: Improvised Shakespeare. Comedy in Elizabethan English, ftw.

3 comments:

  1. "something pulses and rings in the space between my ribs"

    Love it. Makes me think of fireworks, like the post I wrote about the fourth of July way back when.

    "It's that bright pop of lights, green and purple and red and blue and gold and white, entirely out of sync with the sound of the shells bursting. The slow willowy ones that drip soft white embers, trailing smoke and fading sparks in the air. The blazing chrysanthemums of color, bright and loud. Even the duds that sing up high and burst with a supernova flash that rings in the hollow spaces under my ribs."

    WE HAVE THE SAME BRAIN I LOVE IT AND ALSO I LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smear of brain in the bottom of a bucket strikes again. :)

      Delete
  2. Also, please write a story about resistentialism.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.