Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Liesel

Seen exiting the Red Line to Howard at about 9:45 p.m., April 2nd, 2013 

Do you think it's okay to break up with someone because he called you “munchkin”? This wasn't a one-time thing. He did it over and over, even when I told him not to. Overall he's a nice guy, and he probably thought it was cute. Thought I was cute. But munchkins aren't cute. At least I don't think so. And it doesn't even make sense. For one thing, I may be short, but I'm not that short. And I have pink hair, but if you watch the movie again you'll notice that the munchkins don't have crazy colored hair. They just have crazy colored clothes. And, for another thing, I'm not nightmare-inducing. Yeah, I said it. I think those adorable little munchkins are nightmare-inducing. I hated The Wizard of Oz when I was a kid.

So it's a good reason to end it, right? He didn't respect my wishes. A good partner will always respect your wishes. Everybody knows that.

New question: do you think it's okay to break up with someone because he called you “munchkin” when you have a history of similar excuses? With Andrew it was “Leesy-bear.” (I am not a bear.) With Ryan it was “honey bun.” (That's just gross.) With Chad it was “half pint.” (I was like, “I've read Laura Ingalls Wilder, Chad. You can't just plagiarize a nickname.”) Sometimes I think I'm being too picky. Sometimes I think I have the right not to be infantilized. Sometimes I think love and infantilization simply go hand in hand. 

Working from home today. Laundry desperately needs to be done. The Tuesday Funk reading last night was really fun. I hope to go again sometime. Tonight I'm going to see Measure for Measure at The Goodman with Gena, because more culture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.