Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Mary

Seen on the Red Line to Howard at about 7:45 a.m.

Don’t look at me like that. It’s just a scab on the knee. It’s ugly, sure, but you don’t know what it means. Maybe it’s rug burn. Maybe I got it when I was cleaning the carpet or goofing around with my kids. Maybe I have kids. Did you think about that? And if you haven’t noticed, there was a snowstorm yesterday. Maybe I slipped and hit a patch of ice. It’s a perfectly reasonable explanation. Maybe it’s a sex thing. Maybe I liked it. Maybe you’re jealous because you’re not getting any. Maybe I misread your look of pity.

Let's talk about a few things, shall we? First, this is my 300th post on PTKY! How exciting is that? I can't believe I've written 300 little stories in less than two years. Second--and some of you know this already--I've been accepted into not one, but two creative writing MFA programs. I honestly can't believe my luck. Not that I think my writing is bad, it's just that these programs are all extremely selective, so I'm pleasantly surprised I got accepted at all, let alone twice. I'm proud of myself, but mostly I'm just grateful to everyone who reads PTKY. Your comments and critiques--even just the fact that you take the time to read it at all--have encouraged me and helped me more than you know. Writing the stories is fun, but connecting with you fine people is the best part. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for your support and your friendship.

And don't worry. PTKY isn't going anywhere. It may eventually move to another city, but every stranger still has a story that needs to be told. 

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your 300th story - I'm amazed at how prolific you are! And congratulations on your acceptances - way cool!
    Love!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mom. :) (I'm assuming this is mom...)

      Delete

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.