Friday, January 25, 2013

What Does It Matter?

Seen in the Financial District of Manhattan at about 1:30 p.m., January 21, 2013

He lived in the shadows of the Financial District; he slept against the New York Stock Exchange. All the money in the world changed hands here, yet nobody had anything to spare for him. They walked past his open palm without so much as a glance, their shiny black oxfords and patent leather heels clicking importantly on the city sidewalks. “White trash!” he shouted at the people who refused him, though he knew they were not that, they would never be that, just as he would never be wealthy or happy or worthwhile.

And that, my friends, is my last story from NYC. Depressing, but what can you do? I'm going to the suburbs this weekend--I need to cuddle with my dogs and rest before the madness of birthday week ensues. I hope you have a lovely weekend, too!

2 comments:

  1. weird, I'm reading "American Psycho" at the moment. Now that is one depressing take on NYC disparity in wealth

    marc nash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to read "American Psycho." I'll have to get to it.

      Delete

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.