Thursday, December 27, 2012

Lin

Seen on the Metra train to Chicago at about 7:50 a.m.

When I take Grandpa on the train to the city, he barely talks to me. He just presses his spotty nose to the window and watches the world go by. He finally tells me the landscape back home is prettier, and I say “知道,” because he likes it when I practice my Chinese. But the truth is that I don’t know that the landscape back home is prettier. I’ve never been there.

Grandpa is always saying things are better in China. He says it kind of funny, though, because Mandarin has a different structure. You don’t say, “China is better than America.” Instead you say something closer to, “China more than America good”-- 中国比美国更好. So the first time Grandpa saw all the lofty skyscrapers of Chicago, he said, “Beijing more than Chicago impressive.” And the first time he ever had a cheeseburger, he said, “jiaozi more than cheeseburger tasty.” And I always say I know, even though I don’t know, because I’ve never been there.

I really hope I got all that Chinese right. I haven't spoken in a long time. Sorry if anything about this story is screwed up, random Chinese people who may or may not read this! I did my best.

I hope you all had a lovely holidays. I had a nice time chilling with my family and playing with my dogs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.