Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Evan

Seen at the Fullerton station waiting for the Brown Line to Kimball at about 8:40 a.m.

When Evan lifts his eyes from the text of GRE for Dummies, mathematics are superimposed on every object, like the colorful spots that dance across his vision after he stares too long at the sun. The columns and bricks of the building in front of him become x and y axes, and pigeons fly out in rays from the center. He calculates the ratio of people wearing hats (hoods included) to people not wearing hats. If a northbound Red Line train leaves Fullerton at 8 a.m. going 20 mph, and a southbound Red Line train leaves Jarvis at 7:30 a.m. going 18 mph…

Evan tosses his book in the trash. The world itself is an adequate study guide.

I saw this fellow studying for the GRE this morning, and I wanted to slap him on the back and say "HEY! I just did this. You're going to be fine!" He did not actually throw his book in the trash.

I hate math. Numbers hurt my brain.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.