Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Ana

Seen on the Purple Line to Linden at about 8:40 a.m.

Ana dozes on the train, her shoulders hunched, her head resting against one curled, black-and-white-glove-adorned fist. You could say she’s Tebowing in her sleep, but she would resent you for it. He’s such a drag, and he’s not even that good of a football player. You could say she looks like The Thinker, that Rodin sculpture. Ana would prefer that description. She doesn’t know a lot about art, but she’d consider the comparison to something beautiful and respected and time-honored to be flattering.

Ana cares about what people think of her, and she hates that she can’t control her appearance when she sleeps in public. But she doesn’t know when else she’s supposed to sleep. Ana works three jobs, earning just enough money to maintain a decent lifestyle: a clean apartment, healthy groceries, new clothes, regular haircuts. Sleeping on the train, exposing her vulnerabilities to countless strangers, is a necessary sacrifice.

Yesterday I found myself watching Monday Night Football with my roommate. Willingly. I think there's something wrong with me. Actually, I do think it'd be kind of hilarious to get some of my fellow sports-inept friends together next year and create a fantasy football team. Then we could write a blog or make web videos about our ridiculous learning experience. Would you read and/or watch that? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.