Thursday, October 11, 2012

Zooey


Seen on the Purple Line to Linden at about 8:45 a.m. 

Look what you’ve become, with your giant sunglasses to cover up the bruises. You’re pathetic. Depressing. More depressing than reality TV stars. More depressing than that time you saw lipstick on the rim of a toilet bowl at a McDonald’s. What ever happened to being a strong, independent woman? You didn’t even put up a fight. You didn’t leave afterwards. You’ll go back tonight. You’ll stay tomorrow. You’re worthless. 

Let me make myself perfectly clear: I do not in any way think that victims of domestic violence are remotely weak or pathetic. In fact, I think they are some of the strongest people in the world, that they constantly deal with such a horrible thing and yet they continue to go on living. I was just trying to put myself inside the brain of a victim--which is not to say that all victims think this way, or that they should, or anything like that. Speaking of which, I'd like to draw your attention to the Purple Purse Project, which aims to end domestic violence. Consider passing a virtual purple purse to help raise money.

In other news, Tympanic Theatre's production of "Ruby Wilder" was wonderful! If you're looking to see a scary play for Halloween, this is the play for you. It's about a serial killer and his victim, and it's in a tiny blackbox space, so it's almost too close for comfort. Creepy stuff. Even better, my friend Maxwell/his alter ego Everson Poe did the original score and sound design. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.