Monday, October 22, 2012

The Ghosts of Transit Past


Seen at the old Wilson platform waiting for the Red Line to 95th at about 8 p.m., Sunday, October 21st, 2012 

Their mottled cheeks mirrored the chipped paint of the dingy, corrugated metal walls. Their dirty trenchcoats faded to a drab shade of tan beneath the filthy fluorescent lights. Their poorly-knit scarves strangled their skinny necks, just as weeds choked the rotting wood ties of the tracks. These ghosts of transit past longed for the days when they playfully produced derailments and suicides. Even closing the doors on someone’s hand would have been a welcome distraction during the years they haunted the abandoned station. They were as surprised as anybody when the trains began stopping there again. It only happened occasionally, on the weekends, but that was enough. Just enough for them to have some fun. They were not ungrateful. 

When I was coming home from City Lit's production of Frankenstein last night, I had to take the bus to Wilson because the southbound Red Line trains weren't running at several stations due to construction. So when I got to Wilson, I discovered that they were having the Red Line trains stop at the old Wilson platform. I didn't even know it was safe to access it anymore. I've seen it, obviously--the Purple Line always runs right past it, but it never stops there. Anyway, it was dilapidated and delightfully creepy. The perfect setting for a story. Here's a picture I took:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.