Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Esmeralda


Seen at the Fullerton Station waiting for the Red Line to Howard at about 8:30 a.m. 

When a mother is no taller than her child, traditional methods of parenting have to change. Esmeralda races her son up the escalator. She keeps him away from the tracks by pretending the platform’s edges are an as-yet-undiscovered type of blue, bumpy, rubbery lava. He laughs with her. Perhaps she is playful, rather than strict, because she can look him directly in the eyes and see all the imagination and curiosity and hope glowing there. Other parents look down on their children, literally and figuratively. Esmeralda views her son at the level of a friend. Sometimes it’s hard for her to believe that she grew this friend inside of her, that she pushed him out from between her tiny hips. 

Didn't end up going to see Looper yesterday. I worked late, then I watched the debate, then I worked on grad school stuff. So much to do, so little time. The debate was fantastic though. It was much closer to what I think Presidential debates really should be--a bout of fisticuffs. Romney's "binders full of women" comment made my night, though.

I'm currently re-reading The Secret History by Donna Tartt. I know I only read it about a year ago, but it's so good! And, for whatever reason, it seems like an appropriate book to read during autumn. I read The Casual Vacancy so quickly that I feel like I need a longer break before I pick up the George R.R. Martin books again. This is the entry I wrote last year when I was reading The Secret History. I wonder if we'll see any thematic similarities in my stories over the next few weeks? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.