Monday, August 27, 2012

Phil

Seen at Village Church of Lincolnshire at about 12:00 p.m., Saturday, August 25th, 2012. 

Phil was quiet and unassuming. He was wrinkled and balding and forgettable. The only thing extraordinary about him was his voice—an exact copy of Frank Sinatra’s. Not that this made him more noticeable; when he started to sing people would turn around to make sure it wasn’t a recording. On a good day one or two would smile at him. But Phil didn’t mind. After all, when people turned around it was Ol’ Blue Eyes they expected to see, not him. His voice was only remarkable insofar as that it was familiar. It wasn’t surprising that most of their eyes stopped to register his existence for only a second before moving on. In the long run, it didn’t matter. His not-so-unique voice allowed him to make a living, singing in a band that played weddings and charity events. Phil had a means of survival, and he was grateful. 

This guy was in the band that played at my friend Bethany's wedding. I couldn't believe how much he sounded like Frank Sinatra! I decided that he deserved a story. Speaking of weddings, I am all wedding-ed out, I think. I went to two of them on Saturday, and that was quite enough. I'm glad I don't have any more to go to this year. Yesterday I stayed in my pajamas and read A Game of Thrones literally all day. It was glorious. You are following my Song of Ice & Fire experience on twitter, aren't you?

4 comments:

  1. Love it. Don't have a twitter account so can't comment on your tweets there, but just started book two. Here are my opinions so far: Jon - Awesome, Arya - pretty cool, Sansa - whiny, should have killed her instead of her direwolf, Bran - undecided, Robb - eh, Catelyn - one tough mama! And yes, Tyrion is my favorite too, I loved that line (reading... like using a whetstone to sharpen your blade) as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I definitely agree about Sansa. She's obnoxious.

      Delete
  2. I love it when looking at people just lets me think of stories that suit them. This guy sounds really interesting. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.