Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Philip

Seen on the Purple Line to Linden at about 8:45 a.m. 

You know, you should always listen to your mother. Mothers believe in you, they see the best in you, and they’re usually right.

I never listened to my mother. She told me I was smart, that I could work hard and achieve anything. But I didn’t believe her. I blew off college, drank a lot, plowed through a long field of girlfriends. Almost had a kid once, but the girl took care of it. Probably a good idea. I wasn’t myself at the time.

When my mom died a few years ago, I re-evaluated who I was, and I realized that maybe she was right all along. I cleaned up, got a part-time job, went back to school. Now I’m heading off to law school in the fall (hence the highlighter and the too-heavy-for-a-commute book). My once-estranged sister says my turnaround is “incredible” and “inspirational,” but I don’t really think so. I didn’t change; I just found myself. I feel like I had it easy. 

Today is Nikola Tesla's birthday! To celebrate, you should probably go back and read my post from June 25th about Bill & Nik. :)

Good things to read: my friend Annah's list of her Top 10 Summer Beers, and this article from The New Yorker about why they couldn't select a Pulitzer Prize fiction winner this year. Good things to do: The Printers' Ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.