Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Mai Ly

Seen on the Purple Line to Linden at about 8:30 a.m. 

Years of tragedy and trials have forged Mai Ly’s strong jutting jaw. She survived a war full of ideologies and hatred and napalm. Her father and brother died. She came to America with her mother and learned English the hard way—working in a neighbor’s restaurant for less than minimum wage. Since she was not used to depending on anyone else, Mai Ly never married; instead, she opened a convenience store to support herself. For all this she sticks her chin out proudly and chews her crackers.

She often thinks about that poem on the Statue of Liberty: “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free…” Bullshit. People like Mai Ly don’t need to be coddled. 

I have some exciting news: I'm going to Montreal this weekend! It was totally spur of the moment--I found a great deal on Travelzoo. I sent out some couchsurfing requests last night, so hopefully I'll find someone to stay with. If any of you have been there before, please give me suggestions of places to go/things to do! I'd love to hear your ideas.

Also, a big thank you to whoever posted PTKY to Reddit. My page views shot up like crazy! Welcome to any new readers out there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.