Thursday, July 26, 2012

Athena

Seen on the Purple Line to Linden at about 8:45 a.m. 

It’s hard being a Greek goddess in a world where people no longer believe in the Greek gods. We’ve fallen upon hard times. And in case you haven’t noticed, Greece has as well! Think that’s a coincidence? Think again. But you know what? I don’t even care. Those assholes abandoned me, so I abandoned them in turn. I moved to Chicago, and now they can wallow in all their fully-deserved misery.

Still, sometimes I miss the homeland. The rolling mountains lush with olive trees, the sapphire-blue sea. And it’s Olympics time! Back in the day I would have been so happy, watching over the muscled men in the stadium, favoring a select few. Nobody seeks my favor anymore. And now the games can take place in any ugly old city. London? What a joke! By the time that gray, gloomy colossus came into existence, I was already Minerva!

At least it’s easy to dress the way I’m meant to these days. With my flowing maxi-dress, my strappy sandals, and my strong, glinting hoop earrings, I feel a little bit like my old self. If I close my eyes I can picture Mount Olympus. I can feel the breeze stinging my cheeks as I gather strength from the stories people tell about me below.  

I went to Greece in 2008. It was absolutely beautiful. See?


I'm glad I got to go before it started burning.

I'm super excited for the Olympics, you guys. Opening Ceremonies tomorrow... 

3 comments:

  1. Have you ever read The Centaur by John Updike? It re-imagines Greek gods living in '50s-era middle America. Which also makes me think of American Gods, which I haven't read...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Felipe, I'm not sure we can be friends until you read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, Felipe, I've never read The Centaur. But it sounds good. Also, YOU MUST READ AMERICAN GODS. That is all.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.