Thursday, June 28, 2012

Sasha

Seen waiting in line for a career fair on State Street near the Lake Red Line stop at about 2:00 p.m., June 26th, 2012 

It’s sad to see all of us waiting in this line, threaded together by a string of hope that frays more and more every second. We clutch our resumes close, and we stare at the sky, the ground, the passing cars—anything but the competition. You don’t want to get too friendly with the people you’re trying to defeat, and you certainly don’t want to see yourself reflected in the nervous sweat on their noses.

Our cheap clothes (tags still tucked inside so we can return them after the interviews) clash stunningly with the grand old buildings on State Street. But I know those marble columns are just a façade, and on the inside it’s all fluorescent lights and ugly carpet and desperate people scrambling to make a living. Oh, to be one of the miserable, overworked few. It’s better than being one of the miserable, unemployed masses. 

I saw all these people waiting for the career fair when I was on my way to physical therapy the other day, and remembering that so many people needed work made me sad. The line was GIANT. It was mostly younger people, but there were some older people, too, with their shabby briefcases and worn work clothes. Depressing. I'm really lucky to have a nice job with benefits and all that. Sometimes I almost feel like I'm betraying my generation, though, by not struggling along with them. Which is ridiculous, of course, because pretty much any unemployed person would take my job if they could. I guess I just feel unfairly lucky, or something. I don't know what I did to deserve it more than anyone else. Or rather, I don't think I do deserve it more than anyone else.

Anyway, in happier employment news my lovely lovely Leta is visiting Chicago right now because she has a job interview! Everyone needs to send happy thoughts her way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.