Monday, June 4, 2012

Casey, Rochelle, Marisa, & Gemma

Seen waiting at the Fullerton station for the Brown Line to Kimball at about 8:25 a.m. 

None of them spoke, but they were easily the loudest people on the platform. While everyone else stood still, eyes glazed over with lack of sleep, their hands were flying. Palms flipped in and out, wrists twisted, arms swooped, fingers curled. They conversed in an animated language far more vivid than the written word, and far bolder than the spoken word.

Everyone who noticed them tried to understand what they were talking about, but only bits and pieces were clear. A wave hello, a sarcastic roll of the eyes. One of them carried a canvas, so perhaps they were discussing art. The group didn’t mind the staring. They didn’t have to worry about eavesdropping—their gestures were too quick, too clever for the average person. Furthermore, they understood that most people were jealous. In a world full of noise but lacking in meaningful conversation, in a world where even the closest of friends spend most of their time communicating via text message or Facebook, these women possessed something rare—a true connection. 

Back to posts about people I see on the CTA. It was fun writing other things last week, though! I'll have to have another challenge like that sometime in the not-too-distant future.

Oh man, I had a fun weekend that was also productive. Such an anomaly! I had my first gogo gig of the season with Fortunate Sons. Here's a photo:

My partner in crime is also named Becki, but with an i. So we are Becky Squared. Becki Squared? I don't know. Anyway, it was great to get back out there.

Yesterday I finished Chapter 5 of my novel. I now have over 20,000 words written! Definitely the longest thing I have ever written in my life. Which is awesome. Kind of scary. More awesome, though. 

Last night I went to see my sister's folk band Bittersweet Drive play Subterranean. Check out a video I took of them here. "Duet" is my favorite song of theirs. So beautiful.

1 comment:

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.