Thursday, May 10, 2012

Vanessa

Seen walking away from the Fullerton Station at about 1:30 p.m.

The badge is unnecessary. The blackness of her clothing says "official," and the pointiness of her nose says "inspection." She is an older woman; her hair is dyed and meticulously styled. But her lack of roots and her small waist are testaments to her belief that all things should be kept in tip-top shape. One thing is certain: whoever or whatever she is coming for will probably not be ready. They will be smashed to pieces beneath the hammer of her high standards, and then she will reform them in her image.


So I ended up working from home today because, after I turned my alarm off, I put my head down for what I THOUGHT was about 5 minutes. Turns out it was more like an hour and a half. When I woke up it was exactly 9. Oops. I usually don't write stories when I work from home since I'm not on the CTA, but I decided to do one anyway, just because I felt like it. I can do that. It's my blog. I saw "Vanessa" when I was on my way to the grocery store to grab something for lunch. She looked intimidating, to say the least.


My friend Leta wrote this amazing post today about how she lost her religious faith but found a great deal of faith in science and friendship and love and the universe. It's a beautiful piece, and you should definitely read it.


Remember to vote PTKY as best local blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.