Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Madison

Seen on the Purple Line to Linden at about 8:35 a.m. 

Madison never bought into those earbud headphones. She wanted to keep foreign, plastic objects as far from the inside of her body as possible. She also never bought into skinny jeans, or Ray-Ban sunglasses, or make-up. Sure, she was wearing the same khaki pants she’d bought at Old Navy in 1999—so what? That showed she was frugal, and that she valued her possessions. No sense in ditching something that works perfectly well for a newer model.

It wasn’t just clothes and accessories. Madison never bought into sushi, or Logan Square, or online dating. What was wrong with grilled cheese, or Uptown, or being single? No sense in trading something familiar for something you might hate. No sense in risking a life that’s perfectly adequate for a life that only might be better.

Can I just reiterate how happy I am that I started Drivel & Wit Chicago? I love the people in the group with me. I love the stories and poems that they're writing. It's wonderful. As Felipe said earlier today when I mentioned this to him, "Yay, initiative!"

Trivia tonight. I haven't been in two weeks because of couchsurfers and busyness. Our trivia host actually wrote on my facebook wall and ordered me to return. One of the categories this week is 90's hip hop, though, so I suspect we're not going to do very well...

Have you voted PTKY "Best Local Blog" in the Civic Life section of the Chicago Reader's 2012 Best of Chicago Contest yet? You probably should. It'll be fun. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.