Friday, March 2, 2012

Marlene

Seen on the Purple Line to Linden at about 8:40 a.m. 

Marlene used to be a dish, and she wants everyone to know it. Her red beret is artfully tipped to one side, allowing her soft, white curls to pop out over one ear. Even though her beauty has sagged and paled and wrinkled and warped, she still wants to convey that she is a fashionable and tasteful woman. It is all she has left.

When she was young, everyone thought Marlene looked like a movie star. “You’re prettier than Judy Garland!” they’d say. People were always comparing her to Judy Garland. She had to dodge proposals left and right. Ed Wilkins, the butcher’s son, asked her to marry him three times! Eventually she settled on Richard Smith. He wasn’t necessarily the most affectionate husband, but he was handsome; he prized her beauty and paraded it for all their friends and neighbors to see. This was all Marlene had ever wanted, to be adored, and the adoration never ceased. “A fine couple!” people would say. Their marriage was a success.

But now Richard is gone, as dead as her good looks. All Marlene has left to cling to is the hope that people will be able to recognize the gorgeous woman she once was. If they just look at her, really look, they’ll have to see it… 

Weekend! Hooray. My dad recently started working in the city, so we're grabbing drinks at the Beatles Happy Hour at Delilah's. Drinking with my dad--aw yiss. You wish you were as cool as my dad. 

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of a woman I once met. She was 90 at the time. Leaning over me, in what she must have thought was a sexy way, she said "When I was your age, I had the kind of body men wanted to sleep with."

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.