Monday, January 23, 2012

Donny

Seen on the Purple Line to Linden at about 8:40 a.m.


The book lay open on Donny’s lap, but he was long since asleep. And it’s no wonder; with subject headings like “Session Interface” and “Transaction Interface” and “Query and Criteria Interface,” the computer book could not have been a thrilling read. Despite the fact that Donny enjoyed computer science, this particular tome probably wasn’t the smartest choice for an early morning train ride, when the tendrils of sleep were still wrapped around his brain.


Donny’s face twitched. He was dreaming, dreaming that the words from his book were morphing, dancing, sprouting legs and arms and hands and feet. Then there were three bodies that shared one giant face between them. They were inky black in front of a shining white background. They were female, and naked. Donny tried to keep his eyes on their face.

“Yes?” they enquired.

“Um…” Donny wasn’t quite sure what to do. Wait. Query. That was a word he remembered. He had to ask a question.

“Can I stay here with you?”

Donny covered his mouth in surprise. That was not the question he thought he’d ask.

Their face lowered its eyes and sadly replied, “I’m afraid not.”

“This is Davis,” a man’s voice interrupted, tinny over the speakers. Donny shuddered awake, got off the train, and went to work.

Sorry for the relatively slow updates. I've been doing some rather large projects at work. It is annoying. Anyway, I'm going to head home so I can work out and go swing dancing. And before you ask: no, I don't really know what the dream means. I just tried to write something that sounded dream-like. I leave it open to your interpretation...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.