Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Maxine & Natasha

Seen waiting for the Red Line to 95th at the Fullerton Station at about 8:25 a.m.

Maxine reached forward and grabbed Natasha’s hips, sliding her thumbs into the front pockets of her pants. Natasha shoved Maxine’s hands away.

“What? Don’t ya love me anymore?” asked Maxine, her lips curling up into a sly smile.

“Of course. Of course I do. I just wish you wouldn’t do that.” Natasha folded her arms in front of her chest. Maxine’s smile fell.

“Is it that you don’t want people to know?”

“I don’t care if people know.” Natasha pulled her hair into a ponytail. “Why can’t you ever just hold my hand or something? Why do you always have to go for my hips?”

“Because they’re round and thick and beautiful, and mine are straight and ugly, and I’m jealous of you, and I love you.” Maxine’s right hand started toward Natasha; Natasha slapped it.

“Cut it out. It just feels like too much in public for me.”

Maxine’s eyes narrowed. “So you do care if people know!”

“No I don’t! It just makes me uncomfortable. You’ve got to respect my space. If you really love me, you’ll understand that.”

Maxine frowned and turned away. She sighed, watched her breath float away, and turned back. “Fine,” she said. She grabbed Natasha’s hand. “Fine. Am I still making soup tonight?”

Natasha moved closer to Maxine. “Yes. Chicken noodle sounds fantastic.”

It was their first fight. It had been fast and sharp, and it had been accompanied by the sound of trains moving forward. They both felt relieved.

As per Felipe's request: a gay couple. Yesterday Felipe suggested I didn't have enough minorities on my blog. I think this is probably true, but not entirely true. Sometimes the stories are about people who belong to minorities, but the fact that they are part of a minority isn't relevant to the story, so I don't mention it. For instance, Ralphie from yesterday's post was black. But that wasn't really important. Felipe was right, however, that all my stories have been about straight people (I think--it's hard to remember them all). So now that problem is remedied. I'm sure there will be more in the future.

 To be honest, I felt a little disingenuous writing these girls as a gay couple, because the only reason I was doing it was to fulfill Felipe's request, and because, out of the corner of my eye, it looked like one of them was grabbing the other's hips. She wasn't really. I realize that I probably do both when I write these, but I want the stories on PTKY to be more INSPIRED by the people I see, rather than me projecting previously conceived notions onto people. Is that weird? I don't know. Your thoughts?

I like this story, though, because it was an exercise in dialogue for me. I'm bad at using dialogue, so it's good to force myself. I don't think it turned out too badly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.