Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Joel

Seen on the Purple Line to Linden at about 8:30 a.m.


Joel has an angry, cynical heart. It throbs bitterness and pulses spite. He wears a broad-brimmed black hat in an attempt to convey his black, boiling derision for the world, but he has too much of a baby face for it to be effective. This only makes his disposition worse. He despises everyone around him, even the strangers on the L; he hates that they have jobs to go to, and iPods to listen to, and books to read.

Joel lost his job right when the economy tanked in 2008. He wasn’t so angry before that. He never found another job, but now he doesn’t really want to find one. Disgust is his full-time job. It doesn’t pay well, but surviving off food-stamps, and charity, and his parents makes his feelings even darker. He is the king of ill-wishes, the champion of disdain.  

I just realized that in a few days I get to go to the burbs and see my puppies. This fact makes my job practically unbearable. I must push through!

1 comment:

  1. more more more more more!

    I want to hear more about the shadow monarchy, too.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.