Monday, November 28, 2011

Dee

Seen on the Purple Line to the Loop at about 5:15 p.m.


Dee was like a beetle, scurrying back and forth between her apartment and the office. Her face was too small for her rotund body, and her oversized glasses magnified her dark eyes. She continuously scuttled over to whoever was closest (today an unsuspecting fellow commuter) and chattered away, her teeth clicking. She tried to furrow into the deepest corners of people's minds and hearts, desperate for gossip, secrets, attention. She kept her needy hands busy, wringing them over and over in circles.

No matter how much she tried to assert her humanity, others only saw Dee's loathsome arthropodic nature. Many wished she would simply disappear, that she would be banished to the dirt, her rightful home. Some wished she would be squished to death along with the other crawling pests that invaded human space. I thought she was fascinating; I wanted to pin her bulky frame to a giant board, to examine and catalogue her features. I wanted to discover how she ended up among us, so very out of place.

Back from a little Thanksgiving break. It was quite enjoyable. I ate way too much food. That was supposed to stop today, but I came back to the apartment only to discover that my roommate made chocolate chip cookies. At least I worked out. The next meeting of Drivel & Wit Chicago is tomorrow, so I'm quite excited about that. We should have some new members yet again. We'll see how that goes. 


I can barely bring myself to put down "The Secret History" by Donna Tartt. It is so, so, so good. I highly recommend it. 

1 comment:

  1. Love this. Extra points for "loathsome," "clicking" teeth, "furrow," and "arthropodic."

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.