Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Annie

Seen on the Purple Line to Linden at about 8:20 a.m.


Annie stares at the pages of her book, her face cast with confusion and distaste. What IS this? she wonders.

The other day Annie left her Kindle at her boyfriend’s house. Preferring to spend her time on the L reading, she picked up one of the few books her local grocery store carried: “Shattered,” by Marnie Desolation. She figured with a terrible pen name like that, the book would probably be hilariously campy. So bad it’s good.

But no. This is just so bad it’s bad. What was supposed to be a detective story has turned into some kind of sex romp. And not a fun sex romp, but rather, a mildly disturbing one. And it seems as though no editor was involved in the publishing process. Not only are there numerous spelling and grammatical errors, but the story itself is poorly organized, and it’s mostly just boring. Annie would guess it was self-published were it not for the Del Rey Press logo on the spine.

Annie puts her bookmark in and gratefully stops reading. She really has to call Justin and get her Kindle back…

My mom reads books like this all the time. I buy her good books, and she reads them, but then she still goes back to her trashy ones. I've tried to read them before. I don't get it. I guess I shouldn't say trashy. I'm in no place to judge. I just don't prefer them. At all. Ever.

Second meeting of Drivel & Wit Chicago tonight! There are definitely going to be some awesome new members. Can't wait... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.