Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Smith

Seen on the Purple Line to Linden at about 8:30 a.m.

I wish people would stop staring at me. Yeah, I get it. I'm in my thirties. I'm too old to ride a skateboard. But cut me some slack, alright? It's not like I'm some teenage Avril-Lavigne-esque "sk8er boi" good-for-nothing. Well, maybe I used to be. But that was a long time ago. Now I am gainfully employed as a video game developer. And what's wrong with that? Just because I contribute to people's happiness rather than their necessities doesn't mean I'm not a contributing member of society. It's a relatively lucrative business, in fact. Well, sometimes. Sorry you're just jealous that I don' t have to wear a suit and carry a briefcase. And it I want to skateboard to work and get there the fun way, who cares? It's my right as an American, dammit. So just back off. I'll "grow up" when I feel like it--maybe never.


I like it when people don't act their age. Well, I guess it depends on the situation. In this case it was good. Although I wrote the story this way because I also liked the idea of someone who is outwardly confident, but is struggling to justify his own lifestyle to himself. I feel like that happens to the best of us, sometimes. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.