Friday, September 16, 2011

Rusty; Lester

Rusty: Seen on Halsted Street at about 5:30 p.m. on August 27th, 2011


I lean against the wall of the store, one booted foot crossed over the other, smoking my cigarette. I tip my hat at all the ladies that pass by. I watch as the buses and cars struggle down Halsted. Chicago may not be a  wide, dusty plain, but it still begs to be explored. There are adventures to be had and wrongs to be righted. Injustice surely lurks in a city of so many people. But this town ain't big enough for the both of us.

Lester: Seen on the Purple Line to the Loop at about 4:40 p.m., September 19th, 2011


Lester, sloppily dressed, lugs the huge plastic-wrapped canvas onto the train and plops himself down. It is a chilly day; nevertheless, sweat gleams on his round, pimply chin and underneath his eyeglasses. He pulls out a bag and checks its contents over and over, nervously preparing himself for his presentation. This could be his lucky day. He has worked hard on this advertising campaign. If the bank likes it, his name will be made. No more put-downs, no more embarrassments, no more struggles. His is the sweat of desperate dreamers.

I know, I know. Shame on me. I forgot to mention I was going to Ireland for a while, and then my life got all crazy again. Also, I was working on a short story for a Gothic story contest, but I could never get past the first two paragraphs. They were awesome, but whenever I tried to continue it was awful.  Too used to flash fiction, I guess. Maybe I'll post them on here at some point. I also started writing another story for the blog the other day, and that definitely turned into a story more about my fictional self rather than any stranger. So I figured it couldn't really go on the blog. We'll see what happens to that one. Anyway, tonight it's my friend Felipe's birthday! So I must run. Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray, new post! Also, I like the concept of having a fictional self.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.