Monday, June 27, 2011

Ike & Maddy; Chester

Ike & Maddy; Seen on the Brown Line to Kimball at around 7:45 p.m., June 21st, 2011


Ike and Maddy hold hands as they pass countless brick apartment buildings. The sunset makes everything look graceful. Maddy turns to him, smiling.

"So my brother is trying to ask this girl out, and he actually said he was thinking of asking her over facebook. Can you believe it?"

"God, that's a terrible idea."

Her eyes narrow, knowing that she has trapped him. "You asked me out over facebook."

"No I didn't!"

"Yes you did! The first time you asked me out to lunch, you asked me over facebook chat."

"Well, chat is different. I was actually talking to you."

"Yeah, sure. Whatever you say." She smiles at the blonde girl who's trying not to laugh at their conversation. Maddy loves playing these little games with Ike. It keeps him on his toes. And he never gets frustrated with her.

They pass one particularly beautiful tiny brick bungalow. She imagines that she and Ike will move in there together. They'll have window-boxes full of flowers, and they'll buy a puppy. Maybe someday they'll have a baby...but puppy first. Definitely.

Ike speaks up. "You are going to tell him that asking a girl out over facebook is a really terrible idea, right?"

"Nope. He'll figure it out on his own. And who knows? It worked on me, after all."

Chester; seen outside the California Blue Line stop at about 9:15 p.m., June 22nd, 2011


People call me crazy, you know? They call me crazy. But they the ones that's crazy! I'm a Philosopher! I'm a Scientist, man! I know how it really is, and everybody's got it all backwards and everything.

Tonight this girl was feelin' me. Her shirt said "space and time," so I knew she'd dig my theories, because they're true, man! Not theories at all. I told her 'bout light speed, and how we'd count to five--one, two, three, four, five--and whoosh! We only been gone fifteen seconds, but we traveled so far and now we back on the same spot! And I told her how I knew about the five--one, two, three, four, five: space, time, smell, touch, and sight. That's where people get it wrong, you know? You got to feel the space and see the time, and then you got it.

Before she left, she said, "good luck on your travels," so I know she was getting what I was sayin' and all. She'll connect her senses to light speed, and then maybe I'll see her up there in the stars.

Hey there! It's July, and my life seems significantly less crazy now. I'm pretty excited about it. In case you were wondering, I am both the blonde girl on the train laughing at Ike & Maddy's conversation, and the girl with the space and time shirt. Ike and Maddy were truly that disgustingly cute, so I felt they deserved a story. And I liked Chester's theories on the five senses. I kind of want to write a short story now where space and time are two of the five senses. We shall see.  

2 comments:

  1. Love both stories! (Also read tags: Chicago, CTA, insanity, love, science... = good life? I think so!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome :) Like Ben, I also enjoy the tags!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.