Thursday, April 14, 2011

Mary-Anne

Seen on the Purple Line to the Loop at about 5:15 p.m.


Mary-Anne looked like a frog.  Not in a bad way.  In fact, she put herself together rather well.  But her stocky body, wrapped in a dark green wool coat, rested upon skinny legs.  She had small lips; however, her wide face and double chin made it seem that at any moment her neck might hinge open backwards to reveal a gaping amphibian mouth with a long, quick tongue.

If you had told Mary-Anne she looked like a frog, she would actually have found the description to be quite apt.  She was a high school biology teacher, and every year she taught her students how to dissect frogs.  She often wished that someone would come along--man or woman, lover or friend--and dissect her. She wanted to be split open, to have her heart examined and understood.  Not only her heart. She wanted someone to carefully navigate her insides and catalog the workings and needs of each organ.  The dissection would be performed with a deep, almost religious devotion.

Yes, in some ways Mary-Anne would have liked to be a frog.

Oh my, it was a long day at the office.  However, it seems that lots of exciting non-work-related projects are coming my way.  So I am looking forward to that.  By the way, I am a terrible person, because I still have not yet mentioned on this blog that my obscenely talented friend Leta is the one who made it so pretty.  Everyone should read her blog Brain or Shine.  Now for some dinner, then go-go dancing class. I shall talk to you again soon.

4 comments:

  1. Haha, I like this one, too. Have you started reading Kelly Link yet? This is rather along her lines. Insane and disturbing, in a creative and heartfelt way.

    Also, thanks for the shoutout :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, your blog is getting progressively creepier. I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.