Monday, April 4, 2011

Juan

Seen on the Purple Line to the Loop at about 4:40 p.m.


Juan is an intimidatingly tall man, about 6 foot 5.  But you wouldn't know that if you looked at him sitting on the train, clutching his bright pink mp3 player, singing his heart out.  His eyes are closed, and he smiles as he croons the Spanish lyrics.  Juan is an orderly at a hospital, but his dream is to win "American Idol."  He doesn't think the show is as good since Simon left, but he still wants to win more than anything else.  So every day on his commute home from work, he turns up the volume on his mp3 player as loud as it will go, loud enough so the other passengers on the train can hear it.  He relishes the idea that one day they will see him win and think to themselves: "That's the guy from the Purple Line!  I've seen that guy!  I sat right next to him!"

Juan does not know that he is tone-deaf.

Sorry, that's kind of a sad story.  But the tone-deaf part is definitely true.  I hope that Juan, whoever he is, does not find this story, so that he keeps singing.  I wouldn't want to ruin his fun.  By the way, the bright pink mp3 player part is also true, which is pretty awesome.  


I don't have much else to say, except that I've been listening to a great deal of Fionn Regan today.  He is an Irish singer-songwriter, and if you haven't listened to his music, you probably should.  Immediately.  And with that I bid you good night.  Sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.