Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Allie

Seen on the Purple Line to the Loop at about 5:20 p.m.


It's windy out, so when I get up to the L platform I run my fingers through my short red hair a few times and adjust my thick glasses before I open my book.  It's about greening your living space. Tim and I have decided to make our apartment more environmentally friendly. Our apartment. I'm still so excited to actually say that! Tim and I moved in together a few weeks ago, two years to the day after we started dating. How great is that?

It makes me think of school. I'm studying Music History at Northwestern, and I'm writing my senior thesis on what I like to call "other side of the tracks" songs from the 1960's. You know--"Leader of the Pack," and "Dawn" by the Four Seasons. Girl-likes-boy-but-she-is-rich-and-he-is-poor-and-family-doesn't-approve. Stuff like that.  Tim and I were kind of that way. He's always had a lot less money that me, and when my parents found out we were moving in together, they weren't exactly thrilled. But our story won't end sadly. We're more like Billy Joel's 1983 classic "Uptown Girl." I had a choice, and I made the choice to be with Tim. Best decision I've ever made.

I made a conscious effort to write a happy story today. I don't want to depress everyone.  Anyway, I have to keep this short.  It's time to study up on current events for trivia tonight! Our team shall be unstoppable...


Also, for those of you in the Chicagoland area, my sister Molly Robison is playing a show at Metropolis Coffee tomorrow night at 6 p.m.! You should all go, for she is fabulously talented.  I am going, and consequently there may not be a story tomorrow.  I have to go straight from work to her show, and then from her show to my go-go dancing performance.  It's a busy night.  So there will either be no post, or a very late-night post.  We shall see.  

1 comment:

  1. I've noticed that most romantic comedies don't really leave me feeling happy as much they used to do. Now, I just get anxious. Yeah, you're finally together, and you're so in love, but what do you do when you hit money troubles? When one of you changes and the other can't handle it?

    What happens when the real world starts being real?! I shriek.

    And then I remember - right. Movies are fiction. It's escapism, and there's no need to get worked up over it.

    Anyway, that's how your story made me feel. It's very sweet and hopeful, and - who knows- maybe it really will work out for the characters :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! It always makes my day.